Monday, September 8, 2008

Trust

Whenever I've found myself in the position of checking on someone's work, it's made me feel icky. Especially if the person is a reasonably competent adult. I'll admit to sneaking a peek or two at the way others do things to see if I can learn something but hand holding ain't my gig. If I can figure something out, than I don't think another person is that far away from figuring it out, with a little nudging in the right direction.

If someone tells me they can do something, I'm not going to second guess them on it, and if they need help doing it I'll gladly lend any assistance I can, but I refuse to stand over their shoulder and cluck my tongue, or wait for them to finish than explain why they did it wrong... unless they ask, which is entirely different, or they've made a mistake that would endanger people's lives. Then you kind of have to.

I'm certain that this stems from my own insecurities. I don't like when people come behind me, so I wouldn't want to give someone else those feelings with my actions. It's even worse when they go around me and I get the criticism second or third hand. Yikes!

I always appreciate constructive criticism though, and if I'm in the process of doing and a coworker has a suggestion that will make my life easier, I'll be eternally grateful. That's what makes us all better. It's the nitpicking I can live without.

That's what makes us turn into chickens.

No comments: