Sunday, February 22, 2009

Nosy

Forever girls, whether four or forty
One wakes me from the afternoon commute
From lethargic zombie, to eagle eyed seeker
She never fails to have that phone
Pressed against her ear

My imagination needs a ten foot pole
Before it could make assumptions
Why a girl at the bus stop (in business casual)
Who a girl at the bus stop could be talking to
(Sometimes she stands, mostly she sits)

Sometimes our eyes meet, her lips always moving
Making words I can't begin to guess
Words that make sense to the person(s)
She's been holding this dialogue with
For at least a year

Sometimes I think the beginnings of a good story
Involve me stopping the car and walking over
And saying in my most polite voice
Something that I think is witty
Something that will only get me slapped

It's not like that, I just want to know for knowing
She's a reasonably attractive brunette
(I prefer the old hair style to the new one)
A cacophony of phony curls that remind me of
My old unfriendly poodle

But it's not that at all.
Imagine: The same person everyday
The same person rain or shine
The same phone in same person's ear (except for once!)
And wouldn't you want to know?

Or am I just nosy?

No comments: